- School cancelled for Thursday and Friday of this week. All due dates moved the first day I see you next week. Stay safe out there!
- The Contender novel (checked out to students during lunch at the beginning of the school year) are needed each day in class starting the week of Oct. 3rd (next week.) Please locate your copy and have it in class starting on Oct. 3rd.
- Make-up Monday will continue to meet from 3:00 – 4:45 p.m. in our regular classroom. The only cancellation in the foreseeable future is for Monday, Oct. 31st, but it will continue to meet before and after that date.
- (A Day only) There was a pop check to ensure students came to class prepared and had their Contender novel with them. It was 0/5 points for students who were unprepared and 5/5 for students who were prepared.
- The teacher read aloud “How Things Work” by Gary Soto p. 245 Collections textbook and students marked parts they found confusing using post-it notes. Confusing areas could be as simple as they did not know the meaning of a word, or as complex as asking a deeper question about a line or stanza of the poem.
- For their second read of the poem, worked in their small groups to:
- re-read the poem
- generate questions about the parts they’d marked as confusing
- generated a list of the group’s top three questions
- categorized those questions based on where they could find the answer
- Groups traded questions and answered the question the teacher had marked as their specific question.
- One speaker from each group shared out the group’s response and the class further debriefed the poem, as needed.
- During the work period students worked on:
- Achieve 3000:“Don’t Waste That” (BR poll – AR poll with article analysis sheet) which is due at the start of next class. Please note this is an extension.
- Independent work: on loose leaf paper (front only) answer questions 1-5 for “How Things Work” p. 246. Restate the question and cite evidence to earn full credit. Hint: these questions are not asking about stress or unstressed syllables. When they mention ‘stress’ substitute the word ’emphasize.’ The assignment is due at the start of next class. Please note this is an extension.
- Collections textbook needs to be brought to class daily, until told otherwise.
- Close Readers need to be brought to class daily.
- Contender novel needed daily. Use the Contender pacing guide to keep up with the nightly reading.
- Weekly Choice A3Ks articles due Sunday, regardless of A or B day. For more info, please reference the Achieve 3000 vs. A3K page. Remember this is a regular home learning grade.
- Complete any unfinished class work, please see above.