- Congratulations to period 5B on being the first class and only class to link 100% of parent accounts! 1 point extra credit has already been added to the Student Engagement: Research Opportunity grade on Focus.
- Students were encouraged to use a post-it note to write 4 identifying pieces of information on their book, so if lost their book could be returned to them. The four pieces of criteria were: 1) student’s first and last name 2) teacher’s name 3) class period and 4) the last four digits of the DCPS barcode.
- Students who attended the Driftwood field trip, what an amazing experience you’ve been fortunate enough to experience. Hopefully you have kept up with the reading for The Contender by following the Pacing Guide (see homework section for the electronic copy.) You’ll catch up on missed activities for the reading when you return. Also, you’re still expected to complete two weekly A3Ks between 10/2 – 10/8. I recommend completing it at home rather than at Driftwood or en route to/from Driftwood.
- Thank you for those who have donated classroom supplies! For those interested in donating our Class Wish List will be updated throughout the year to suit our needs.
- The class evaluated the Reader Response Post-It Worksheet Example for Chapter 5 of The Contender to understand the process for today’s group work. For the example and the power point we used, please click here. We also evaluated the scoring rubric for the assignment on the back of the worksheet and assessed it as a 100% A example. Absent students will make this up in class because they will need to collaborate with others to complete the assignment.
- Once students finished the group work, they worked independently on adding to their S.T.E.A.L. Chart, click here for the original post, access to the S.T.E.A.L. Chart worksheet, and directions. Students held onto their S.T.E.A.L. Chart. It is not expected for students to fill out every row on Ch. 5-6. This is an ongoing assignment. Students will add to their chart as more information is learned about their character. Some characters have been more present, others will be more present in later chapters.
- For today’s closing, students answered the essential questions: 1) How do Alfred and Major’s views of the Epsteins differ? 2)What effect do these conflicting views have on the story?
- Bring The Contender novel to class daily.
- Consult The Contender Pacing Guide to keep up with the nightly reading due at the start of class on the due date.
- Complete two weekly A3K choice articles between midnight on Monday – 11:59 P.M. on Sunday, scoring 75% or higher on each article to earn credit. For more info, please check the Achieve 3000 vs. Weekly A3K tab to answer FAQ. NOTE: “I am Malala” is an assigned article, which will count as a classwork score. If already completed, it will NOT count as one of your weekly A3Ks.
If you haven’t done so already:
- Turn in late work (only accepted one A or B day late.)