- The Scholastic Book Fair is open during class on Jan. 23 – 26. All profits benefit the school! Online ordering begins Wednesday, Jan. 17 and continues through the end of the month: http://www.scholastic.com/bf/landonmiddleschool1
- Remember the 7th grade late work policy shifts in the second semester. Effective Jan. 9, 2018 students will not receive credit for late work. Exceptions include extenuating circumstances communicated with the teacher in advance and accommodations.
- Check here for extra credit opportunities.
- Remember students must sign-up in advance to attend Make-Up Monday. The sign-up sheet for the coming Make-Up Monday is taken down the Friday afternoon prior to the meeting and is cancelled if no one has signed up. All quarter 3 sign-up sheets are already hung outside the classroom.
- Be sure comp. books are kept updated for periodic comp. book checks. Please today’s bell ringer. Please note there are two parts. Answered the question and glued in their choice of the provided Revising vs. Editing cheat sheets.
- The assigned Achieve 3000: “A Different Kind of Classroom.” Students need to complete the BR poll – Thought Question and an article analysis sheet on the assigned article due 1/25 (A) & 1/26 (B.) Article analysis sheets should have been submitted to the class inbox.
- The class divided into their assigned groups to write one paragraph of the class’ essay.
- After writing, students traveled around the room to view all the other groups’ paragraphs and offer feedback.
- Paragraph groups finished writing and revising their paragraph and submitted one paragraph per group via email by the end of class. If absent, you do not need to worry about making-up this assignment.
- The class reviewed the essential questions, time permitting.
- Collections textbook not needed in class again until 2/1 (A) & 2/5 (B).
- Return The Contender novel to the media center. Books must be returned to Ms. Mayer, or placed on her circulation desk (across from Counseling Corner.)
- Complete two choice articles between midnight on Monday – Sunday at 11:59 P.M. each week.
- Hold onto The Contender novels. Some students are still using them given they were absent and have extensions on assignments that require the novel. Thus, no dates have been announced when these books will be collected, but books checked out to you must be returned to the school or paid for if lost. For this reason, please store the book some place safe, until the books are collected.
- There’s been a lot of questions regarding the “Research Extra Credit” grade in Focus. As discussed in class, each quarter this category will appear. Periodically in class, we come up with questions we cannot stop and answer in the moment, but that are valid questions worth our attention. When Ms. Barker deems an question worthy, she will announce it to all classes and via the blog. The first student to email her (email because it date/time stamps) the correct answer they have researched will earn extra credit in the “Research Extra Credit” assignment. Currently there are no research extra credit opportunities available.
- Make-Up Monday sign-up sheets are posted outside our classroom door for the entire second quarter. If you plan to attend, remember you must sign-up to reserve your spot. The sign-up sheets will be taken down each Friday afternoon. If there’s no interest (assessed by no students signing up,) there will be no Make-Up Monday the following week.
- For today’s bell ringer, please reference the power point. It’s important to keep your comp. book updated and accurate in the event of periodic comp. book checks. If absent, please borrow Ms. Barker’s comp. book to the get the information. Your post-it is in the absence folder.
- Classes had differentiated methods for receiving their essay feedback and completed the Initial Writing Review worksheet to guide them through their reflection, before learning their scores.
- When finished, students worked their way through the work period checklist (slide/page 8 in today’s power point.)
- The teacher had conferences with students on an as-needed basis.
- Students got back their Theme short response (last page in the Close Reader for “He-y, Come on Ou-t!” and were given directions for further practice (slide/page 4 in today’s power point.) Students who earned a “check plus” have satisfied the requirement for the assignment and do not need further practice. Students who earned a “check” may re-do the assignment on a separate piece of paper, staple it to the first, and re-submit for a second chance. Students who earned a “check minus” need to complete the Level Up Tutorial on Theme and complete an article analysis sheet for the practice questions. Here are generic directions for how-to access the Level Up Tutorials. Category: Analyzing Literature. Topic: Theme. Both opportunities are due at the end of next class. Students may work on for homework, if they’re worried they won’t finish in class next time.
- Bring your Collections textbook (hard cover) next class until told otherwise.
- Complete two weekly A3K choice articles between midnight on Monday – 11:59 P.M. on Sunday, scoring 75% or higher on each article to earn credit. For more info, please check the Achieve 3000 vs. Weekly A3K tab to answer FAQ. Remember, assigned articles like “Teens Saving, Not Spending” count for an assigned article only.
If you haven’t done so already:
- Turn in late work (only accepted one A or B day late.)